Daily News- March 03- 2002- Sunday

  • Myanmar captures under 17 title
  • Myanmar junta chief calls for unity
  • More Anti-Government Armed Members in Myanmar Surrender to Government
  • KAREN KILLINGS : Rights panel probes deaths

  • Myanmar captures under 17 title

    PETALING JAYA (Mar 2, 2002) - Myanmar captured the inaugural AFF Under-17 championship title with a 4-1 final win over Laos at the MPPJ Stadium here today. And it was not an easy victory as they were down to 10 men from the 54th minute. Defender Zaw Htat Aung was sent off by the Thai referee Veerappol Prayun for a deliberate and dangerous foul on Laos striker Khamphai Taypanyavong.

    Myanamr had the edge and kept their opponents busy throughout the game with fast pace and disciplined display. Laos were not to be disgraced for they fought back gallantly and showed early promise with their compact game. As early as the fifth minute, Myanmar showed they meant business when Kyaw Kyaw Soe tore down the middle to slam home.

    Laos managed to equalise when skipper Southalay Xaysongkham netted from a penalty in the 44th minute. But this was shortlived as Myo Min Tun put Myanmar back in the lead second before the breather.Despite playing one player less, Bo Bo Aung put the issue beyond doubt for Myanmar with goals in the 73rd and 86th minutes.

    Meanwhile, Indonesian midfielder Imam Agustian was named the tournament's Most Valuable Player. Laos goalkeeper Vongsackda Sianphongsay was selected the Man-of-the-Match.

    To The Top

    Myanmar junta chief calls for unity

    YANGON, March 2, Kyodo - Myanmar junta chief Sr. Gen. Than Shwe called Saturday for unity among Myanmar's peasant population in working for a new constitution for the country.

    Than Shwe's message came as part of Peasants Day, which marks the day, March 2, 1962, former strongman Gen. Ne Win seized power from the civilian government.

    The current junta leader said the emergence of a new constitution and peaceful state has been ''impeded by interference and sanctions.''

    ''The government is striving hard, day and night, relying on our own resources and patriotism, for the emergence of a peaceful and developed state and a firm constitution, which can guarantee the stability of the country.

    Interference and sanctions by elements inside and outside the country have impeded the process of our efforts, also affecting the promotion of living standard of the peasants, which form 70% of the population,'' he said.

    Myanmar held democratic elections more than a decade ago, but the generals continue to refuse to cede power to the elected government.

    To The Top

    More Anti-Government Armed Members in Myanmar Surrender to Government

    YANGON, March 2 (Xinhuanet) -- Thirty-two members from two anti-government armed groups in Myanmar laid down their arms to the government forces in January this year, sources at the Ministry of Defense said Saturday.

    These members, who "exchanged arms for peace" with the government in the month in the eastern, triangle, western, southeast and coastal region command areas respectively, are thosefrom the Shan United Revolutionary Army (SURA) and Kayin National Union (KNU). They brought along with them, among others, a total of 673 rounds of ammunition, the sources said.

    The SURA is operating in the northeastern Shan state and the KNU, the largest Kayin ethnic armed group, is fighting the government on the Myanmar-Thai border.

    In December last year, 36 anti-government armed group members surrendered to the government forces in six military command areas,bringing along with them 919 rounds of ammunition, according to anearlier official report. Government statistics show that up to now, 17 anti-government armed groups have reached ceasefire agreements with the governmentsince 1989.

    To The Top

    KAREN KILLINGS : Rights panel probes deaths

    The National Human Rights Commission is looking into the deaths of 17 Karen people found in a stream here last month. A team led by Charan Dittha-apichai is on a three-day visit to the province. NGOs had demanded the commission look into the mass killings.

    The Karen were found with their throats cut in a stream near the border in Mae Ramat and Mae Sot districts. Mr Charan's team talked to police working close to where the bodies were found and met deputy provincial police chief Khattiya Anantariwong and immigration authorities.

    Sawek Pinsinchai, the provincial police chief, was not in town but will speak to the commission soon.Mr Charan said police did not know who the victims were. They were believed to be Karen Burmese workers connected to a drug trafficking network or a labour trafficking ring.Mr Charan said the commission was looking into the matter and his team would leave Tak today and report the findings to chairman Saneh Chamarik.

    To The Top