Sep 05 2002
- Seven members of National League for Democracy party was set free on humanitarian grounds ahead of a visit by a European Union delegation.
Sep 06 2002
- Two members of National League for Democracy (NLD) have been sentenced to three years in jail for possessing a journal published by exiled dissidents. - U Win Tin, the former chief editor of Hantharwaddy Newspaper was transferred to Insein prison from Rangoon General Hospital Prison Ward on 6 Sep. U Win Tin is suffering from pile problem.It is believed that he was sent back by force of other circumstance.
Sep 10 2002
- A European Union delegation visiting Burma met Suu Kyi and other senior NLD leaders at the party's Rangoon headquarters.Daw Aung San Suu Kyi said that she has taken a neutral position to the matter of sanction.
Sep 11 2002
- Daw Aung San Suu Kyi attended a memorial ceremony of the September 11 attacks together with senior generals from the ruling military junta.It was the first time NLD leader has been seen in public attending a function with senior junta officials.
Sep 13 2002
- Daw Aung San Suu Kyi met with family members of political prisoners at her National League for Democracy (NLD) headquarters in Rangoon. - U Sai Pha and U Saw Nan Di, two senior NLD members in Shan State, were detained for unspecified reasons.
Sep 15 2002
- A senior member of NLD prisoner, Aung May Thu was died of severe flatulence with hard constipation in Bago Hospital.He was arrested in 1989 on charges of being linked to the banned Communist Party of Burma and sentenced to 20 year in prison. Junta denied the foul-play.
Sep 16 2002
- National League for Democracy party held a scaled-down ceremony to mark the fourth anniversary of its alternative parliament. The 10-member CRPP , an alliance comprising the NLD, Shan NLD, Arakan Democracy League, Mon Democracy Party, Zomi National Congress and individual elected representatives, was unilaterally formed by the NLD on Sept. 16, 1998 with NLD chairman U Aung Shwe as chairman and U Aye Thar Aung as secretary.
Sep 18 2002
- 14th anniversary of the suppression of the people's hopes for democracy, and the establishment of the military regime. - Daw Aung San Suu Kyi attended Aung May Thu's funeral.
Sep 20 2002
- A senior member of NLD prisoner, Aung May Thu who was arrested in 1989 on charges of being linked to the banned Communist Party of Burma and sentenced to 20 year in prison,died of severe flatulence with hard constipation on 15th September and discounted the foul-play.
Sep 23 2002
- 10 members of the National League for Democracy party were released. They are among the 18 political detainees released by military regime.
Sep 25 2002
- Reported a fresh crackdown on activists was launched by arresting 30 dissidents and forcing many others into hiding.
Sep 27 2002
- In a major gesture of reconciliation, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi said that she was willing to work with the ruling military to better the lives of ordinary people in the impoverished country.She was Speaking on the 14th anniversary of the founding of her National League for Democracy (NLD) party which was held at NLD headquarters in Shwegondaing, Rangoon.